Friday, August 2, 2013

Kill Them With Kindness

A lazy summer morning provides an opportunity for Noah to engage me in watching Animal Planet’s Houston SPCA. This particular episode involved a cute dog that had been injured and left to die. Fortunately, the Houston SPCA came to save the day and transported the injured dog to a veterinary clinic. I am sure you are thinking this brief summary doesn’t sound too unusual for Houston SPCA’s story line; however, the story is about the conversation between Noah and me. The conversation went a bit like this…
“Mom, why did the dog get shot?” asks Noah.
“I am not sure. The vet doesn’t know why the dog was shot, but everyone is trying to help the dog recover from the injury.” I respond while reading my latest library book. Needless to say, I stopped watching because my book was calling my name, begging me to continue reading it. If you have watched one Houston SPCA, you have watched them all. Sometimes I wonder if Noah should be watching this show. He is eight and hopes and dreams about owning a dog someday soon. Does this show help or hinder his dream?
“I know how the dog was shot.” Noah responds confidently.
Slowly closing the book and placing it in my lap, I question, “You do?”
“Yes! The dog was probably running around near a shooting/gun range and accidently ran in front of a bullet.”
“Oh, I don’t think that is what happened.” This conversation is going to be serious, so I place my book on the table and process how to inform Noah that not all pet owners are responsible pet owners. “I think what happened to the dog involved a naughty owner. The owner probably was mad at the dog and shot it.” I did it. That explanation was not so hard. Nice people versus mean people in a nutshell…I think, I hope.
“No, the dog probably ran in front of a bullet while the owner was hunting.”
Rolling my eyes and breathing in deeply, I embark on my second attempt to inform Noah that all human beings are not kind, loving human beings. It is true, all humans are not kind. Noah has to understand and face this reality someday. Our conversation continued, more importantly the brief life lesson reminded me about the importance of treating all humans and animals with kindness and respect, regardless of inner feelings.
If I have a difficult professional relationship, kill them with kindness (figuratively speaking). If I have a challenging period of time with a friend, kill him/her with kindness. If I have a challenging period of time with a loved one, kill him/her with kindness. I have tried with every ounce of my being to encourage my children to be kind and respectful human beings to all individuals/animals. Noah has had some scary run-ins with more than one dog. At one point, he ran from every dog he met. Does that give him permission to be mean and vicious towards dogs? Absolutely not! More importantly, it has provided him an opportunity to learn how to handle his interaction with dogs. Our neighbors energetic Springer Spaniel has helped Noah overcome his fear. He knows he can shower the neighbor dog, Sophie, with love by throwing eight thousand tennis balls for retrieval.
“Good Sophie! You retrieve every tennis ball so well.” He is learning to be kind and overcome his inner fear of dogs.
On the other hand, when another neighbor walks by with her two little dogs, he compliments their owner for taking them on daily walks. His inner being tells him to stay far, far away because they have been known to break from their harnesses and bite. Yes! I said break from their harnesses. It actually happened and resulted in Noah getting nipped. Noah has some strong feelings about these two dogs; however, he has learned to be kind and stay far, far away when they are on their daily walk with their owner.

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” Mother Teresa eloquently stated. The echoes of kindness are truly endless. Without kindness, Noah would still be running from all dogs. I can learn a bit from Noah because I can kill him with kindness while encouraging him to follow directions the first time they are given. A girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment