Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Happiness

Driving home from work, thinking about what to expect when I walk in the door is typical. I never know if my little ones, who are not so little anymore, will be grumpy, happy, silly, rambunctious, or tired. School is exhausting for a five year old and an eight year old.  Especially my five year old. If she stops for a moment, she will easily fall asleep.
Recently, I pulled the car into the garage, turned off the car and began gathering my numerous bags. Bags, purses, lunch boxes, and backpacks tend to follow me wherever I go. This particular day was no different. While I determined which bags could stay in the car until a bit later, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye.I glanced up to discover Noah jumping up and down; holding the door to the garage wide open. The grin on his face was a mile long and his eyes sparkled.
His energy and excitement made me forget about my bags, my to-do list and everything else I pondered on the drive home.
"Mom!" exclaimed Noah.
"Hold on, I can't hear you." I said, as I wiggled and maneuvered to unfold myself from the car.
"Mom! Guess what?" said Noah.
"I don't know. What?"
"I earned 100% on my spelling test." quipped Noah.
"Oh my goodness! Amazing! You really worked to improve your spelling test grade. Your hard work paid off."
Hugs and happiness were shared to celebrate Noah's grade. Needless to say, the bags stayed in the car. Sometimes I have to remember to enjoy the moment and leave the baggage behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment