Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Happy 40th, Dean!


“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” 
― Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

Flashback to February 3rd, 1998 and you would have an opportunity to witness the accidental moment Dean and I shared. Mutual friends invited both Dean and I, separately, to meet at a bar in the Captain Cook Hotel, downtown Anchorage.
Both of us arrived. We were introduced to each other. We talked a bit. I wondered where he was from because of his accent. Who knows what he thought of me.  I was brave enough to ask him, “Where are you from?”
“A small town, right outside of Green Bay, Wisconsin,” he responded.  Curiosity took over and I asked more questions. He was gracious and patient with me; answering my stereotypical questions about what it is like to live in Wisconsin. I mean, I am a west coast girl, who is absolutely thrilled to be finding out what it is like to live on the other side of the Mississippi River. Do you eat cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner? California cows are happy. Are Wisconsin cows happy? Okay, I don’t remember the questions I asked, but I do remember Dean.
The evening continued. The small group of people gathered at our table talked some more, drank some more and decided to part ways.
PART WAYS…I just met this man, with an accent, and we are going to part ways. I don’t want to part ways. However, my friend Carrie was my ride and she was leaving. I watched Dean and the others make their way down the snowy sidewalk to the next establishment, while Carrie and I walked to her car and drove home.
Several days passed and I was curious to know more about Dean. He called. I wasn't home. I called him back. He wasn't home. Remember, all of this communication took place before cell phones were glued to the hip of their user. The phone tag continued, and then we connected. Dinner, a movie and great conversation was the beginning of our single, flashing, throbbing moment.
I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Our true love moment was meant to be and sixteen years later we are still going strong. Two kids, three states, a little faith, a little hope and lots of love, have led us down this path called life. I wouldn't change a thing.
On January 31st, I wish you happy birthday. HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY, DEAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment