Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Closure

Some need closure regarding a relationship with a significant other or family member. Some need closure regarding a friendship. I just experienced closure regarding where I was born and raised. I had an incredible opportunity to return to Anchorage with my dad and fourteen year old nephew. After moving away from the place I called home for twenty-five years in the year 2000, I chose to return. My life after I moved away has been blessed. I married the love of my life, gave birth to two unique and curious children and have experienced numerous adventures.
Is it possible for one to go home, after moving away from “home”? I always said no because home is where one is surrounded by people who love and cherish them. Home is where one can celebrate, cry, or laugh about the ups and downs of life. Home is not a location. It is a feeling of love, comfort, and security. When my brother moved away from Anchorage, one piece of home moved away. When my parents moved away from Anchorage, two more pieces of home moved away. When Dean moved away from Anchorage, the final bit of home moved away with him.
Upon my return to Anchorage this summer, I realized I still knew my way around. Furthermore, I still cherished the majestic mountains, rushing rivers and laid back lifestyle of Anchorage and surrounding area. However, I also experienced closure. I appreciate and cherish growing up in Anchorage. I love the memories, the friendships I established while living there; however, home is where my family resides.
With that being said, I enjoyed the trip thoroughly. I am so lucky to have been born and raised in such a unique and inspiring place. Because I was living in Anchorage, I met Dean. Because I was living in Anchorage, I established life-long friendships with numerous friends. Even though we live thousands of miles apart, it is like no time has passed when we have an opportunity to meet and catch up. Because my parents took a leap of faith and moved to Anchorage to further my dad’s career, my brother and I enjoyed an amazing childhood. I don’t know if closure is the correct word to define how I feel about my relationship with the city of Anchorage.

One thing I do know is I am establishing a safe a secure home with Dean and the kids. My kids will someday contemplate what it is like to come home. However, that is many years down the road. No need to rush that component of my life. 
Downtown Anchorage

Kachemak Bay, Homer, AK


Homer, AK


Russian Orthodox Church, Kenai, AK

Resurrection Bay, Seward, AK
Sea Otters
Gray Whale



Sea Lions
Anchorage, AK
Twenty-two mile bike ride on the Coastal Trail. Momma moose and her baby made an appearance, Anchorage, AK
Mount McKinley from Anchorage

Mount McKinley, south view point
Mount McKinley, north view point

Mount McKinley from inside Denali National Park






Polychrome Pass


Caribou

Momma bear and two babies

Red fox

Moose

Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment