Thursday, January 5, 2012

Harmony

“Happiness is when you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony”
One little word to describe a goal for myself this year is an interesting concept. After reading numerous blogs by teachers who are talented writers, I thought I would give one little word a try this year. I am surrounded by individuals who are making resolutions for the New Year. Maybe, if I approach the New Year with one little word in mind, I will achieve success.
Harmony is defined as agreement; accord; harmonious relations; a consistent, orderly, or pleasing arrangement of parts; congruity.
My one little word for the year is harmony. I am looking to maintain harmonious relations with my husband, my kids, my dad, my brother and the rest of my extended family. For example, harmony before bedtime would be lovely. As the day comes to a close, my kids get wound up. Currently, while I am typing, they are running up and down the hall upstairs yelling, laughing and being kids. In a perfect world, the imaginary monsters they happen to be running from make me realize they are being kids. But, why do they have to run from monsters at eight-o-clock in the evening? Why can’t they run from monsters at six-o-clock? Then, I wonder did my brother and I drive my parents crazy when all they wanted to do was crawl in bed and sleep? Of course we did. I remember sitting at the dinner table, enjoying a home cooked meal and being difficult.
I would whine, “David is bothering me. He is staring at me funny.”
“No I am not,” David would respond.
Of course, the whining and taunting would continue, even though our parents would ask us to stop numerous times. This memory reminds me that I drove my own parents crazy; therefore, it is only appropriate my own children act like kids and disrupt the peace and quiet I long for at eight-o-clock in the evening.
Maybe harmony at bedtime is meant to be disrupted. I mean, life would be pretty boring if you didn’t have a chance to run from monsters once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment