Monday, January 23, 2012

Love Letter

“Dear Mom and Dad,
Can we have more time together? Then we can have fun. I want to get to know you better. We don’t see each other very much during the week. I want to have a game night. I want to have a movie night. Can we have a family dinner?
Love, Noah”
This is the letter I found in Noah’s school folder when he arrived home from school today. The words melted my heart on so many different levels.
First of all, his words make me realize we have established a safe and happy home environment for him. It is a place he would like to spend more time. For example, over Christmas vacation, I asked the kids to go see a movie.
They responded, “No, we want to stay home all day.”
“Why? Daddy has an extra-long day at work. We should go out and see a movie.”  I responded.
“No, we don’t want to see a movie. We want to stay home all day.”
So, we did just that, we stayed home all day.  We played upstairs, in the basement, in the back room and any other place you can think of. Why not outside? We avoided the outside because it was freezing.
Second, family game night, family movie night and family dinners are as important to Noah as they are to Dean and me. I guess it is time to plan a family game or movie night in the near future.
Finally, Noah is writing. He is writing to convey a message to other people. He is communicating clearly; using punctuation correctly.  Wow!
This was my response to Noah’s letter.
Dear Noah,
I know our weekdays are busy, but we always have weekends. Weekends give us a chance to slow down a bit and spend time together. We will plan a family movie and family game night soon. I am so happy you like to play games and watch movies with your mom and dad.
We love you!
Love, Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment