Thursday, July 11, 2013

Checking In

Kids ate breakfast, check!
Kitchen is cleaned up, check!
Next chore on my list for the day is …
“Hey, look! It is a cardinal.” Dean says, interrupting my train of thought.
I respond, while moving to the kitchen window, “Where?”
“No, look out the slider. The cardinal is on one of the deck chairs.” States Dean.
Shuffling over to the slider, I am completely surprised by what I see. “Oh my goodness! I don’t think I have ever had the opportunity to see a cardinal. It is so red. Beautiful!” I respond.
Both Dean and I watch the cardinal as it looks in every direction, including through the slider door into the house. I am in awe of the bold red feathers, the stunning beauty of this bird. Additionally, I am stunned by the bird’s curiosity about what is going on inside our house.
Dean quietly states, “When I see a unique bird like that, I feel like it is your mom checking in on us.”
Tears begin forming in my eyes, “Really?” I am speechless. The cardinal, my mom, checking in on us? “We are doing well, Mom. Thanks for checking.”
And, the cardinal is off, as quick as it arrived; leaving me emotionally raw. We miss you, Mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment