Monday, July 1, 2013

Stop Throwing Strawberries


“Stop throwing strawberries at me!”

You don’t hear that every day; however, I was fortunate enough to witness this odd statement of frustration while picking strawberries over the weekend. Luckily, my children were not throwing strawberries at each other. This statement of frustration and rage prompted my brain to visualize the many frustrating moments my children have with each other.

“That was my seat on the couch!” squeals Riley.

“You got up, so now it is my seat.” States a very smug Noah. Another moment in time where my kids are purposely throwing strawberries to irritate each other, as well as everybody within ear shot.

 

“I was playing with that toy.”  Yells Noah.

“I had the pink puppy dog first. You took it while I was in the bathroom.” Cries Riley. Mind you, the pink puppy had been neglected for weeks on end. If I am willing to accept the reality of the situation, Riley was making the choice to figuratively throw some strawberries at Noah.

 

Why do siblings love to taunt each other relentlessly? It causes anger and tears, as well as a massive amount of frustration for parents. My brother and I are terribly guilty of taunting each other. In my perfect world, I remember my brother taunted me, and I was a perfect angel. I know that is not true because I am guilty of irritating my brother on purpose. I just wasn't very good at it.

As kids, do we learn problem solving skills by overcoming these moments of frustration? Do we gain a “thick skin” so when strangers throw strawberries we are protected emotionally? I don’t have the answers, but realize Dean and I are not the only parents who struggle through these frustrating and pointless sibling conflicts. Hopefully my kids are stronger emotionally, socially and physically because they have each other to sort out some of these problem solving skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment